Monday, October 12, 2009

Circle of Sisters 2009


I had a great time at the Circle of Sisters Expo at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City this past weekend.
I attended only Saturday of this 2 day event. I especially enjoyed the "Think Rich in a Poor Economy" seminar which was very informative and real. This presentation was moderated by Shon Gables and the expert panel included Alfred Edmond (Black Enterprise magazine), Carla Harris, Valerie Coleman Morris and Manyell Akinfe. The room was filled with a sea of mostly women and the basic theme and message was "Don't live beyond your means". Alfred Edmond summed that up with the definition of wealth. Wealth is making more than you spend and saving and investing the difference!!! I can digg that! My thing is buying quality and timeless stuff that will last and deciding which items I want to purchase are needs vs. wants. I'm more flexible when it comes to purchasing from small business, artists and entrepreneurs like myself because I really value and feel it's important to show support to other businesses. On a side note, I need to show off some fabulous earrings I got from Lingua Nigura at Art Mart 11225 Craft Fair. This was a total want, but I love her handmade jewelry and she is such a cute and sweet person. I would buy her whole collection if I could. The panel also talked about giving as another key in "multi generational" wealth building and I quote Multi Generational wealth because that is the ultimate goal.
Tips:

  • Read at least one finance book a month.
  • Have a financial posse' of people who are like minded and have greater knowledge. For example if you're the smartest one in your group it's time to find a new group, but that doesn't mean ditch people in your life that need your help and influence. I would just ditch folks who don't want to help themselves and bring you down.


    *The pic is of Bern Nadette Stains best known as Themla Evans from the show Good Times. She looks great and was at the event taking pictures and promoting her book.

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails