Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Jicama Recipes



Jicama ( HEE-Kah-Ma) is an edible root that resembles a really large turnip in shape but the skin is thin and brown like a potato. The inside white flesh is that of a crisp and juicy apple or pear but the taste is sort of like a combo of the two. I did some research and found out that jicama is native to Mexico, where it's sometimes referred to as yam bean. The plant is a member of the bean family, and its vine can grow up to 20 feet in length. The root is the only edible portion of the plant . It's leaves and seeds contain a mild toxin. (interesting !). Jicama is a good source of Potassium, Dietary Fiber and Vitamin C.


BUYING JICAMA

Choose roots that feel heavy and dense in the hand, with smooth unblemished skin. The best weight is 1-2 pounds; jicama larger than that may have a coarser texture and less-sweet flavor. They can be stored in the fridge in a plastic bag for up to two weeks.

To prepare, cut off the outer brown layer, including the fibrous white layer just under the skin. You can then cut the flesh into strips and wedges for use. If not serving right away, briefly dunk the pieces in water with a squeeze of lemon in it, to keep the jicama from browning.

RECIPES

What did I make with it you ask???

Well I had a really ripe mango, some lemons, parsley and this jicama and I remember that I saved a recipe from old cooking light magazine, that I wanted to try my own version of. I just made a simple diced mango jicama salad. It came out pretty good. Jicama is very refreshing and it pairs great with the sweet mango. I wish I had some lime juice and cilantro to add in. I think that would have really worked well. It was a nice challenge just using what I had on hand. I found the recipe I save online here.

More Jicama recipes click here and here

JICAMA TIPS

Jicama is a nearly perfect healthful food--low calorie, fat free and satisfying.

* Add thinly sliced matchsticks to your salad.

* Use thin slices as a taco garnish or mix with cabbage for cole slaw.

* Top jicama slices with fruit salsa

* Jicama likes to be stored in a cool and dry place.




Lets eat good!
-Shevon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails