Monday, February 7, 2011

Sweet Potato Turnovers


The smell of roasted sweet potatoes in the oven always puts a huge smile on my face growing up.  This  sweet potato turnover is something I came up with in honor of Black History Month.  My goal was to create a bite size healthier version and of the classic southern American sweet potato pie.  These mini pies will be easy for me to take to work for lunch.


  First I roasted a bunch of sweet potatoes in the oven till it was very soft and well cooked.  I then let them cool while I made the pastry dough.    I used whole wheat pastry flour, butter, sea salt and cold water.    For the filling I used mashed sweet potatoes cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt and ground dates (for texture and added sweetness).  


I bake them till it was golden brown.  Taste great hot or cold.  I keep them in an air tight container in the frig.  

5 comments:

  1. Yum. They look so good. Love sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh these are ADORABLE and so impressive! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I have a whole lot of NZ sweet potatoes (kumara) ready to dig up in my garden and I think I'll try this. Did you refrigerate your dough per Martha's instructions? How long/what temp did you cook them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mel,

    Yes I did chill the dough and I baked them at about 350 degrees until they were golden brown.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails