Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spring: The Season For Rhubarb.


Spring is the time to get field grown rhubarb aka Pie Plant!  Rhubarb is a vegetable that looks a lot like celery.   I have eaten  rhubarb chutney before but I never cooked with it myself,  so I 'm a rhubarb newbie.  I had no idea how to choose rhubarb, some have a deep red color others are pink with green.  I choose mainly the deep red color ones, simply because they look good.


Since this was my first time cooking with rhubarb,   I wanted to taste it raw and cooked without adding any other complimentary fruits like strawberries.      Rhubarb is very tart and kind of sour in its raw and cooked form.   It has to be sweeten and it's a good idea to pair rhubarb with spices like cinnamon or ginger.  I ended up making a simple rhubarb crepe filling using this recipe that I adapted.  It came out really well.  I just couldn't wait to eat them after making the filling and the crepes, I didn't do any photography.  I was just so hungry I devoured them sorry! I did however feel guilty so I manage to take one blurry photo in mid bite.

    


(To Peel or Not to Peel Rhubarb:   I learned that rhubarb doesn't need to be peeled and it's actually  discouraged.  Even through when slicing it the outer layer seems to naturally come off.  )  


Rhubarb Recipes: 

Sweet 


Savory

Go get some Rhubarb and cook it for your family, friends and or roommates.  It's a good thing to do!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, looks tasty! I just discovered a deep love of strawberry rhubarb crisp last year, and now can't get enough! Which reminds me, I want to plant some of my own this year... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails